Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fighting my way through the gear jungle

For once I wasn't all sensible. I decided to buy gear before I've ever tried standing on a pair of skates. And how easy is that? Not easy at all, I can tell you this much. I've spent HOURS researching pros and cons with all the different brands of skates and pads. At first I wanted a pair of pink & black Anarchys (cause they look awesome) but as I did some more reading I realized they're probably not very good. So instead I went for the Riedell R3's which seem lika good beginner skate. I also decided on the long gumball toe stops.

So this past Sunday I sat down to order. I wanted to order from the Swedish shop but as they haven't replied to any of my emails I was afraid the shipping would take for ever. And I didn't want to order from the US as I've heard several horror stories about the insane amounts you have to pay to get it through customs. A friend of mine in Norway hade to pay 650 NOK! Oh the horror. So I decided to go for an English shop. I spent about 2 hours trying to find a bloody shop that had all the gear I wanted which seemed IMPOSSIBLE! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Finally I got a tip about Kickflipboards where they sell rookie packages.

I decided to upgrade on the pads as I really want to be well protected. (When I showed some friends today I realized I must've had a complete brain snap as that package was one of the most expensive ones. What was I thinking!?) Anyways, I went for the 187 pro-pads as I read somewhere that it was like "falling on kittens" - hehe. I've been told that the wheels on the R3:s suck, but I figure I gotta find out what kind of surface I'll be practicing on before I buy new ones.

It got....pretty pricey. But hopefully totally worth it. Now I'll just have to wait and see and hope everything fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment